Currently on my Kindle

Monday, August 9, 2010

I see children's books in your future

And no, that's not a pregnancy prediction.

I see children books joining the ranks of "Walden" on your shelf!

There was once a time (was it once upon a time?) that I measured the depth of a person's writing abilities by the depth of their reading collection-did they at least attempt Moby Dick? Did they follow Dagney all the way through "Atlas Shrugged"?

Now I know better. It's not judging a book by its title-it's judging a book by its audience.

I'm not the only one noticing...The New York times has a great article (and hilarious picture) discussing the trend (special thanks to Mr. Farber for noting it).

What is it about children's literature that we find so appealing? Is it the pleasant reminder of to bedtime stories past? I think it's because children's lit is able to send us on an adventure without the literary critic, self-assured voice of an adult. And, to an adult with bills to pay and their own blog to write, that is freeing.

So you know what I've been reading this summer...you know that summer reading lists aren't just for kids...so what's next?

What I'm currently reading:


For those "kids" who liked "Breaking Dawn" or Vampires:


For those "kids" who like series:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Communication Theory Books

Books for Fun