Currently on my Kindle

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Found Poetry

At first I was a little worried that I was the only one to notice the 475th anniversary of Anne Boleyn's beheading. Then I signed on to Tumblr.

Images of Showtime's The Tudors, The Lady of the Tower, and even replicas of Anne's necklace flooded the pages. I'm glad to see, despite the hate campaign of Henry VIII, she is still beloved and not forgotten.

Some credit her as the impetus behind the English Reformation (not just as the lustful inspiration, but the provider of philosophy and insight. After all, Henry DID respect her knowledge, not just her looks). She gave England a lot more than Elizabeth I. Today, she still stands as a symbol of the oppressed feminine voice. Even today, she may have been seen as a shrew instead of as a scholar.

Flowers adorn her grave in England today, as does poetry much like the works of her one-time lover Wyatt. Inspired, I have combined pieces of her final speech on the scaffold, love letters written to her, and historic documents to make a new poem to commemorate her life's last moments.

The Found Flowers of May
Written For, By, and About Anne Boleyn

The Most Happy
My mistress and friend
Seduce me…ravish me with your words.

he had been seduced
by means of sacralige and
charm

I and my heart put ourselves
in your hands, begging you
have them suitors for your good
favour

despite the threat of war and excommunication

These bloody days have broken my heart

What she had that was so unique for a woman
at that time
was also her undoing:

treason,
adultery,
incest
witchcraft

For your wit alone many men would bemoan,
And since it is so, many still cry aloud.

The Lady in the Tower

I am come hither to die

These bloody days have broken my heart

And if any person will meddle of my cause,
I require them to
judge the best

But since it pleases the King,
I will willingly accompany them in death, with this assurance:

To everything there is a season, a time to weep and a time to laugh


about the throne
the thunder rolls
and to God I commend my soul


No comments:

Post a Comment

Communication Theory Books

Books for Fun